Nerds
I saw this at several other blogs and decided to try it.
Well, now the truth is out…I AM a nerd. Can I use that as an excuse for all my eccentricities or just a few?
Being totally honest with myself I am a nerd…in fact I was before they/we were called nerds, but I also know a lot of people far nerdier than I and far more intelligent than I. Of course, it’s a matter of social behavior more than intelligence. My entire life, I’ve liked to socialize, be around people, etc. and I get along with (almost) anyone, but I’ve always had this sense of not quite fitting in.
I’m sure it goes back to elementary school. I was lucky because I did well academically and I was fairly attractive, but I was always on the fringe. Kids would hang out with me at school, but not invite me over, or to their birthday party, etc. In HS I was a band geek. Fortunately we had a championship band that earned countless recognitions and there were actually kids who wished they were in the band too (although I don’t think any of them were football players or cheerleaders) but winning those trophies took hours and hours of practice and hard work. Band was a large clique of geeks. That clique was my lifesaver as a teen though. It gave me an identity and circle of friends that include my DH and a few people I’m STILL friends with after 30 years. We may all have been Band Geeks in HS, but we’ve done okay as adults.
I remember my son at about 5 telling me he wanted to be a Nerd when he grew up. When I asked why, he said that all the Nerds I grew up with became rich and all the “Cool Guys” (his words) were poor. A bit simplistic, but not too far from the truth. Of course, at age 20 my son is neither a “Cool Guy” nor a Nerd.
So, my two cents on Nerds.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home