I am blessed
If we are lucky, we meet a few people in our lifetime that we truly are blessed to have known. I’ve known several. I just learned that one of them has passed away and it made me think about a couple others that I've lost too.
A year ago this week, my father passed away. He was certainly one of those few. From the 1930’s when he was still in high school until the 2000’s, my dad coached literally 1000’s of high school aged boys, most of whom adored him. It’s been said that he taught far more than sports, he taught the game of life to those boys. I could say that’s what he taught me too.
Whether you were one of “his boys” who adored him or one of “his boys” who just tolerated him, a fellow coach, co-worker, or his daughter, you KNEW there was something special about him. It wasn’t until he was over 80 that I realized what it was.
He was PASSIONATE. He didn’t like or tolerate anything. He LOVED it, or, sometimes, HATED it, but nothing in between. He LOVED his God. He LOVED baseball. He LOVED his father. He LOVED his mother & sisters. He LOVED his wife. He LOVED his children and grandchildren.
He HATED lying. He HATED ignorance. He HATED laziness and excuses and anything less than 100% effort. He HATED the words can’t or won’t. While he accepted it as unavoidable, he also HATED compromise. There was no grey in his world. Once I realized that I understood him and why so many people loved him. I’ll miss him and his calling me sweetheart every day until I die.
Ten years ago this summer, a dear friend of mine lost her struggle with cancer. She left a husband and two young sons who adored her. She left countless friends who were awed by her intelligence, character, faith, and strength. She left an entire community in tears. A poor Hispanic girl from San Antonio, she graduated #1 in her HS class, #1 in her college class and #1 in her law school class, but when her husband's father became to ill to run the family business, there was never any hesitation. They left their law practice out-of-state and moved back. Once there, she became involved in every civic group in town! Ten years later her handprint remains on far too many service and community initiatives to ever count.
Yesterday, another great person passed away. Mr. H was 100, so it certainly is not a surprise, nor can I mourn too deeply when I know what a long and good life he had. But in his 100 years on earth he also managed to leave his handprint throughout the region where he lived. He was a strong and outspoken advocate for children, tolerance and community service, and an example for so many people. He was my husband's greatest supporter and, I think it's safe to say, he was my husband's greatest mentor. He will be missed greatly. I am certain it will be standing room only at his funeral mass on Monday.
There are many others who’ve crossed my path that are special, but these three were among the very best. Mr. H's passing has reminded me that I am blessed to have know them.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home