The Wonders of the Internet
When I came into work this morning, I had an email from my dh’s cousin who lives in Michigan. He was forwarding (to a long list of relatives) an email HE had received from a distant cousin who lives in Maryland. She had seen a show on the Discovery channel and wondered if there were any connection between it and my dh’s grandfather and emailed a long list of distant relatives wanting to know if anyone knew anything.
I saw that same show a couple years ago (at least I think it’s the same), did a search back then on the internet and found a site that made a connection. I actually saved the link so I emailed everyone who had received both sets of emails that linkage AND another link to a short bio of my dh’s grandfather (he was a fairly noted scientist/inventor in his day) should anyone be interested.
Then I thought to myself that I hadn’t done a search on his name in some time so I “googled” his name. I found a listing for a book that he wrote and published in 1920 for sale by a book store in Colorado. I immediately emailed the store and ta-da…for less than $20 I acquired a present for my dh’s birthday next month that will be absolutely priceless to him. I AM SO EXCITED!
That’s not all. I got an email from ANOTHER cousin, thanking me for sharing the bio. His grandfather was the brother of my dh’s grandfather. I’ve never heard of him and I don’t think my dh hasn’t either. I responded that I’m sure my dh would like to correspond.
Isn’t the internet something?
Get an email from someone in MD forwarded by someone in MI. Found a book in CO and a lost cousin in ?? (don’t know he didn’t say) all in less than 8 hours AND all while sitting at my desk doing “real” work.
Also, just got a call from my daughter who returned from being out of town for several days. She had a message to call work (she’s teaching and off for the summer) and when she did she was offered a promotion. It’s something she really wants and means over $4.00 more per hour. More work and responsibility too, but she’s up to it. (Not bragging there, am I?)
Now, if every day could be so good!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home