Leaving on a jet plane
Yes, just like the old song, exactly 24 hours from now I'll be flying to FLA for a long weekend. This is the first real vacation I’ve had in 5 years. For over 3 years I used all my leave from work (and more) to take care of my parents. I took a couple long weekends to travel to drop off/pick up my DD at school and once my DH and I added a couple days while we were there, but that was it, other than taking care of my folks. When my dad died I had a negative balance of leave. When my mother died four months later, I had exactly one week. She died in the early am on a Tuesday, we buried her on a Friday and I was back to work on Monday. I took some time over Christmas, but didn’t get anything done around the house and really did nothing but sleep. I’m now at the maxes for both vacation and compensatory time, so
I’m leaving on a jet plane.
Of course it’s only for 5 days, but…..
I really thought that once my parents passed, with my kids grown or nearly grown, I’d have time to do all those things I’ve been wanting to do. BUT, that was when I got my new micromanaging, workaholic boss and started on a very important project at work, that has made it difficult to take off. I finally said what the heck! Of course I submitted my leave request in February and when I came into work on Monday, my boss was called out of town and had never authorized it. I went to another Director who laughed and said, of course. Of course…..of my own boss were here I’d be working until midnight tonight to get everything done. (That pretty much explains why it has been two months since I've posted anything) But she’s not here, so by this time tomorrow
I’m leaving on a jet plane.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home